All JET participants are covered with four types of insurance – including National Health Insurance and JET Program Accident Insurance. Here are some useful pointers we’ve collected about staying healthy here in Ehime.

Health Insurance

National Health Insurance / Seifu Kansho Kenko Hoken (政府管掌健康保険)

It is important to carry your National Health Insurance Card with you at all times.  70% of medical expenses are covered for illness and injuries. Medical care benefits include medical examination, provision of medicines or medical care supplies, emergency treatment, surgery and other medical treatment, in-home medical care, hospitalisation and nursing. Not covered – preventative medicine, cosmetic surgery, dental check ups, eye exams, eyewear, pregnancy exams.

JET Program Accident Insurance

In the case that a JET participant is injured or becomes ill during the period of coverage, the JET Accident Insurance Policy allows JET participants to claim back medical costs incurred (minus a ¥5,000 deductible and within the limits of the policy). The JET Accident Insurance also provides coverage for death caused by accident or illness, disability, and treatment for injuries and illnesses that occur during travel abroad or temporary visits to the JET participant’s home country.


Sick Leave

Byoki Kyuka (病気休暇) / Byokyu (病休)

  • Misunderstandings over sick leave are often a source of problem between JETs and COs.
  • All JETs are entitled to use byokyu, but read your contract for specific rules (good old ESID!)
  • Ask you supervisor what you need to do if you are sick and if you need to provide a medical certificate.
  • Call your supervisor and work place if you are sick!
  • If you have any questions or problems related to sick leave, contact a PA.


Who do you need to see?

  • 内科 (naika) – internal medicine (general practitioner)
  • 外科 (geka) – surgical (breaks/sprains, etc.)
  • 胃腸科 (ichouka) – stomach/intestinal medicine
  • 眼科 (ganka) – optometrist
  • 歯科 (shika) – dentist

Medical Facilities

Medical Centers in Ehime (Japanese)

HIV Testing

There is a HIV testing service available in Ehime. They are offered free of charge and privacy is assured. The test is simple, but you must return one week later to the health centre in person to ask for the result. They will not tell you over the phone. You can take the test three months after the time you think you might have been infected.

  • Matsuyama Central Public Health Office (Chuo Hokensho)
    Every Wednesday 1:00pm-2:00pm
  • Imabari Central Public Health Office (Chuo Hokensho)
    Every Monday 11:00am-12:00pm
  • Saijo Central Public Health Office (Chuo Hokensho)
    Every Monday 11:00-12:00pm
  • Yawatahama Central Public Health Office (Chuo Hokensho)
    Every Tuesday 11:00-12:00pm
  • Uwajima Central Publich Health Office (Chuo Hokensho)
    Every Tuesday 11:00am-12:00pm

Reproductive Health

For infections or other immediate concerns, visit your local hospital or the women’s health center attached to the main hospital in Matsuyama. If you have a rural placement and privacy is essential, you may wish to visit another city for your examination.

  • Kenritsu Chuo Byoin (Prefectural Central Hospital)
    Has an independent clinic for women (josei shinryouka). All doctors are women.
  • NTT Hospital (Obstetrician and Gynaecologist)
  • Okujima Hospital (for abortions)
  • NTT Nishinihon Matsuyama Byoin
    8:30am to 11:00am, and 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Monday to Friday.
  • Kiba Clinic Matsuyama-shi – Suga-machi
  • Okugima Byoin – Dogo-machi, Matsuyama-shi
  • Shiritsu Ozu Byoin – Ozu-shi
  • Yano Maternity Clinic

It’s important to note that hospital doctors – even gynecologists – in Japan do not generally handle basic contraceptive health. If you would like to talk to a doctor about contraceptive options or begin a prescription, you will need to go to a private women’s health clinic. Many Ehime JETs use the Mariko Ladies` Clinic in Matsuyama for regular check-ups and prescriptions, where there are English-speaking staff.

Otasukeman Services

MIC (Matsuyama International Centre) offers an otasukeman services for free, so if you have a health issue you would rather not speak to your supervisor or BOE about, they can accompany you to appointments and offer their translation services. This may be especially useful for any sexual health needs. The otasukeman service isn’t just limited to doctors’ visits. You can use it for bank visits, dentists and any occasion when you may need translation services and feel unable to ask anyone else. Contact details and further information can be found on the MIC website:

Counselling and Support Services

PAs and RAs are not trained to provide mental health counseling. However, PAs are able to assist you in finding help with the resources listed here.

CLAIR rolled out a new mental health counseling system for JETs through an online counseling company in 2015. Through this service, you will be able to e-mail or Skype with licensed mental health professionals. Speak to the PAs or your superviser for more information. Note: This service is not meant to be a long-term solution, and the professionals you speak with might recommend therapy and other treatment.

In most cases, mental health counseling is not covered by your national health insurance in Japan. However, if you are considering counseling, CLAIR offers a one-time subsidy for counseling of up to 10,000 yen that must be applied for through your Contracting Organization. However, if you need to see a psychiatrist, it is likely that insurance will cover your costs, and the JET Accident Insurance can be used as well. Make sure to check before you proceed with your treatment.

  • AJET Peer Support Group (PSG) is a confidential listening and referral service that operates from 8pm to 7am, 7 days a week. You can reach them at 050-5534-5566 or on Skype.
  • Tokyo English Life Line (TELL) is a free and confidential counseling available for to everyone (you don’t have to be a part of JET). They are available from 9am to 11pm every day. You can contact them at 03-5774-0992.

Useful phrases

  • I have a fever – netsu ga arimasu (熱があります)
  • I think I have a cold – kaze wo hiita you desu (かぜをひいたようです)
  • I have a headache – atama ga itai (あたまが痛い)
  • I feel like vomiting – haki sou desu (吐きそうです)
  • I don’t feel well – kibun ga warui desu (気分が悪いです)
  • I have a stomachache – onaka ga itai desu (おなかが痛いです)
  • I have a runny nose – hanamizu ga demasu (鼻水がでます)
  • I have a cough – seki ga demasu (せきがでます)
  • I have a pain here – koko ga itai desu (ここが痛いです)
  • I have diarrhea – geri wo shite imasu (下痢をしています)
  • I have my period – seiri desu (生理です)
  • I have hayfever – watashi wa kafun shou desu (私は花粉症です)
  • Please call a doctor – isha wo yonde kudasai (医者をよんで下さい)

For Fires

  • There is a fire! – Kaji desu (火事です!)
  • My address (the place) is~ – Basho wa~ desu (場所は~です)
  • My name is~ – Namae wa~ desu (名前は~です)
  • My telephone number is~ – Denwa bango wa~ desu (電話番号は~です)

For an Ambulance

  • An ambulance, please. – Kyukyusha onegaishimasu (救急車お願いします)
  • My address (the place) is~ – Basho wa~ desu (場所は~です)
  • My name is~ – Namae wa~ desu (名前は~です)
  • My telephone number is~ – Denwa bango wa~ desu (電話番号は~です)

For a Crime

  • There is an accident/crime. Please help me!
    Jiko/jiken desu. Tasukete kudasai! (事故/事件 です。 助けて下さい!)

    • Be sure to explain the condition and location slowly and clearly.
    • Traffic accidents …Date and Time, Name, Condition, Location, etc.
    • Crimes…kind of Crime, Date and Time, Name, Condition, Location, etc.
  • The address (the place) is~ – Basho wa~ desu (場所は~です)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>