Matsuno Town [松野町]
Location / Access / Transport
- Car: about 2 hours from Matsuyama
- Train: To/From Uwajima – 45 minutes to Matsumaru station (440 yen)
- Bus: To/From Uwajima – about 55 minutes from the roadside station Michinoeki Hijinomorikoen (500 yen) Schedule here
Tourism / Festivals / Highlights
- Togenkyo Half-marathon – half-marathon, 10km and 3km races held in early April. The race winds through beautiful valleys and nooks of the town, often coursing through cherry orchards in full bloom. There are many hills and elevation changes during the race, making it more challenging than most half-marathons.
- Matsuno Summer Festival – every mid-August; beer garden over the town’s main bridge and stage set-up over the river.
- Kagomori Ichiba farmer’s market – fresh, cheap and seasonal vegetables, bentos, variety of bakery snacks as well as local souvenirs. 10am – 5pm, closed Wednesdays
- A-coop – open from 10am to 7pm
- Circle K convenience store
- Home Improvement – Konan. Large home furnishings and appliance store.
- Nametoko Gorge – beautiful scenic area, great for hiking and camping! But watch out for the monkeys, as they will steal anything near you (and even out of your hands!) There is also an onsen at the Morinokuni Hotel. Only accessible by car.
- Poppo Onsen – a very nice onsen located right above Matsuno train station. There are multiple outdoor and indoor pools. Open from 10am – 10pm and entry is 510 yen. There is a free footbath in front open until 5pm
- Aquarium – otters, penguins, a crocodile and river fish. Entry is 800yen
- Glass blowing – located next to the aquarium
- The Shimanto River – one of Japan’s biggest rivers and the last major undammed river in Japan, just 20 minutes` drive from the town. In the summer it is an excellent place for swimming, kayaking and camping.
- Fishing – good catches in the Hiromi River
- Taiko – Matsuno has a rather well-developed taiko team that practices every Wednesday from 7pm to 10pm