Uchiko Town 内子町
Uchiko is a mountain town, with a population of about 20,000. It is the central hub area for several smaller, outlying towns and villages including Ikazaki, Ohse and Oda.
Location / Access / Transport
Uchiko is located in the south west of Japan, along Route 56.
- By train: from Matsuyama – about 22 minutes by express train.
- By bus: from Osaka – return overnight bus between Osaka and Uchiko.
Tourism / Festivals / Highlights
- Uchiko retains a traditional feel with its old-world streets, where handmade candles and umbrellas among other products, are sold.
- Old mansions from when wax production brought Uchiko, much prosperity.
- Traditional theatre (Uchiko-za)
- Sleeping Buddha statue
- Karari farmers market is open every day and offers locally grown produce.
- Ikazaki Paper Factory sells a large variety of decorative Japanese paper and paper products. It’s good for Christmas shopping. Paper making workshops are offered.
- Ikazaki Kite Festival – teams fly large kites made out of Japanese paper. The kites have blades attached for cutting the strings of other kites. (Golden Week, early May)
- Sol-Fa Ski Ground – Offering three runs, Solf-Fa is home to the longest run in Ehime. Rental and a day pass costs about 10,000yen.
- Oda Lantern Festival – lanterns float down the Oda River while the people of Oda take part in a parade. The event culminates in the igniting of a fake boat by shooting fire arrows at it.
- Bridge in Ishidatami – picturesque wooden arch bridge with a thatch roof out in the country.
- Bamboo Festival – dancers form a procession down the main street, which is colorfully decorated.
- Volunteer English Tour Guides – They can be contacted by phone, 0983-43-1450, or through Uchiko’s ALTs or CIR. Please book at least one week in advance for tours of Uchiko's old street, Ikazaki, Ishidatami, or other parts of Uchiko town. Tours can be tailor made, but may depend on the availability of guides.